Thursday 10 April 2008

Drunk driver crashes into woman's parked car - police breathalyse HER!

CONSULTANT business trainer Margaret Worth had a shock when she heard a drunk-driver crash into and wreck her car while it was parked outside her home.
And as police responded to her 999 call and arrived to arrest the Eastern European driver, she was even more surprised when they promptly breathalysed - her.
Mrs Worth, of Glenmore Road, Minehead, had been sitting on the sofa in her living room when the crash happened outside.
But she still found herself being formally breath tested by officers to check if she had been drinking.
The result was ‘zero’ – and Mrs Worth has kept the breathalyser as a souvenir of the bizarre law enforcement approach.
However, she has not complained, as she reasoned that the test put her in the clear just in case the foreign driver tried to claim in court that she had driven into him instead.
The incident happened at about 4 pm on a Friday afternoon.
Mrs Worth told The Post: “I was sat on my sofa and heard this car going along, and then I heard a crunch and thought somebody must be hurt.
“I got to the door just in time to see him ricochet into my car, lifting it up and pushing it along by three feet.
“I could see he was drunk, and he roared off as I dialled 999 and did a circuit and came back.
“He was sat there when the police arrived and they removed an empty bottle of whisky from his car.
“I actually got cautioned and breathalysed and I had to produce my documents. Apparently, it is the law.
“The police were extremely professional. I was quite happy to give a breath test because I do not drink, and naturally it came up zero.
“On the face of it, it does sound ridiculous. I still think it is funny to be suspected of being drunk in charge of a sofa.
“But when you start to analyse it, then I suppose it does make some sense.”
Avon and Somerset Constabulary spokesman Wayne Baker confirmed to The Post yesterday that it was not routine to breathalyse witnesses to such an incident.
However, Mr Baker said the officers who attended Mrs Worth’s incident had incorrectly received information that she may have been driving her car at the time.
Mr Baker said police who dealt with the incident had arrested a man on suspicion of drinking and driving.

2 comments:

  1. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.