Sunday, 6 January 2008

Exmoor chimney blaze poses problems for firefighters

A CHIMNEY in a house in Pixton, near Dulverton, caught fire twice in one day.
Dulverton firefighters thought they had put out the fire on Sunday, January 6, but they were later called back to it when it reignited.
It was a difficult operation for the fire and rescue crew and took them several hours to complete.
The fire had spread to the insulation within the chimney structure and to tackle it the firefighters had to remove the chimney pot, the capping, and a wood burning stove to gain access to the seat of the flames.
They eventually successfully put it out using chimney gear.
Damage was confined mainly to the insulation within the chimney, and there was also about 10 per cent smoke damage to the living room of the house.
A fire and rescue spokesman said smoke alarms were fitted in the property and were in good working order.
Photo for illustration only.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.